Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Chicago Interview

I had my Chicago interview yesterday, and on the whole, I think it went fairly well. We met up at my interviewer's workplace, and upfront he told me me that the interview is supposed to be 30 minutes, and he wants to stick to that. He was extremely personable and instantly put me at ease.

Unlike my Columbia interview, which lasted over an hour and a half and was all over the place, my Chicago interview was very structured. My interviewer told that there were standard questions that he was supposed to ask, and he had written down some questions.

The questions that I remember (not necessarily in that order):

1) Why do you want to do your MBA at Chicago?
2) Why do you want to pursue a MBA?
3) Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with someone. How was it resolved?
4) Tell me about a time when you failed at something.
5) I don't want you to talk me through your resume, but pick two things that you are most proud of on your resume. (I liked this question - gave me a chance to speak to a couple of things, rather than just give a summary)
6) What I thought about the "cheap lending" in the market, and if the economy was poised for a "soft landing"? (We both work on Wall Street, so this sort of made sense. But I doubt that this was a standard question).

At this point, we had been talking for 30 minutes. He then asked me if I had any questions. I asked him some about his background, and his experiences at Chicago. We had a good rapport, and I think both of us had a good time.

He did not give me any feedback on what he thought about my candidacy (and I thought it best to not ask), but he only had positive things to say throughout the interview, so hopefully that means that the interview went well.

In hindsight, there were a few things that I could have done better, but I guess that is always the case. My Columbia and Chicago interviews were worlds apart, but I think it has given me good perspective and will come in handy if I have any more interviews.

I do not have my Wharton invite yet yet, and there are not many days left to go. And no word on HBS and Stanford - I guess its still a little early to expect anything from them, but it will not be so in 2 more weeks!

6 comments:

Out on a Limb said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great that you've had a couple interviews already. Good luck with the process.

I haven't heard from any of the schools yet. I've been antsy about it, but not much one can do.

Cheers!

rungee582 said...

Sounds like the interview went well - congrats!

asiangal said...

You may want to consider adding your blog to http://opencoder.org/mbablogs/applicants/ so that you're listed with all other applicant blogs. Best of luck with all your R2 applications! =)

Nat4mba said...

Best luck with Columbia, Chicago and other schools in your list! :)

Inblue said...

Looks like you had a nice interview. All the best !

mba_Deeva said...

aww i have my Chicago interview on Feb 24th with an alumni. as i've never had an interview with an alum yet, reading ur blog really helps me to prepare.(so far i had 2 interviews and both with AdCom staffs, and wharton interview will be with admissions director)hope you'll get an invite from Wharton.. still got a couple more days!